Tuesday 5 December 2017

SUNSETS ARE AS INEVITABLE AS WORDS


Yesterday, after taking yet another photo of yet another sunset, all of which are absolutely beautiful, it came to me that sunsets and words have a lot in common. No matter what race or culture or religion any human being belongs to, they have some form of communication, words, at least for the last fifty thousand years, as far as scientists can gather from the evidence.  Okay, so the sun has set a good many more millions of times than that, but, in our own time, as homo sapiens, words are as inevitable as is the setting of the sun, and thankfully so far, its rising each morning.

Similarly the setting sun seems to predict a good day or a bad day ahead, as far as weather patterns go. "Red sky at might, shepherds delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning." I grew up with that saying ringing in my ears. While I was uncertain as a very young girl what a shepherd had to do with it, I soon came to realise that there was some truth in it. From the beginning of human time observers of Nature have been aware that the skies forewarn us of dry or wet weather, gales or gentle breezes. Indigenous peoples all over the world learned to read the skies, just as they learned to read the earth and all the animals and plants upon it. It was a case of survival. Later they came to read and write words. Clearly homo sapiens learned their lessons well, having survived for so long. The question now is are we ignoring too many of the unwritten signs for our own good?

Endless words have been and will continue to be written and spoken on the subject. Some so ridiculous that they sting those who see the truth of what Nature is trying to tell us. Some are so overly pessimistic that they garner lethargy rather than action. Words will play an even bigger part in the future as meetings and gatherings and debates turn into written laws and regulations that may at last assist Nature to assist us to continue surviving as a species.

In the meantime I will continue to write. I love words. And take photos, many of them sunsets. I love them too. Join me in celebrating both, by commenting on this, and my other blogs.Thanks.

And wouldn't you know it. I just deleted all my sunset photos while trying to upload an image! Technology. I hate it! Now they are fearsome words. Until next time. After a few more sunsets!



No comments:

Post a Comment